Let's Talk


Online Enquiry

Use Shift+Tab to go back
Use Shift+Tab to go back

Specialist Disability Accommodation

People with very high needs typically require somewhere to live that has been designed to ensure they are safe and comfortable. The National Disability Insurance Scheme NDIS can provide funding for participants for supported independent living in a modified dwelling.

The article outlines Specialist Disability Accommodation options and how to select a specialist disability accommodation provider.

Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents

    What is specialist disability accommodation?

    Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is used to describe both the funding for and the accommodation provided to people with extreme functional impairment or very high disability support needs.

    A Specialist Disability Accommodation home is one that has been created or modified for a person with a disability, to ensure their comfort and safety.

    National Disability Insurance Scheme for SDA housing

    A person’s NDIS Plan may state that they are eligible for SDA. Funding is provided through the NDIS plan to pay for the cost of the housing.

    All NDIS Participants must have an NDIS plan, which outlines the services and supports the person is eligible for. People who have been approved for SDA often have specialised accommodation requirements and often very high support needs.

    SDA funding is used to ensure the NDIS participant has a safe and comfortable place to live, and access to housing designed just for them.

    SDA providers of independent living

    The SDA Price Guide on the NDIS website says that SDA funding is provided to:

    • participants who require a specialist dwelling that reduces their need for person-to-person supports, or

    • improves the efficiency of the delivery of person-to-person supports

    The NDIS does not own or operate SDA facilities. However, the NDIS can provide funding for participants to be able to find a home that suits their needs and lifestyle.

    Who is eligible for SDA?

    Specialist Disability Accommodation SDA funding is provided to people who are unable to live in mainstream accommodation. Typically they will have very high support needs or extreme functional impairment as a result of their disability.

    How to find specialist disability accommodation SDA?

    Once approved for SDA funding, it is up to the individual to identify and choose appropriate housing. An NDIS support coordination service can help link participants to SDA housing providers or provide a list of SDA vacancies in the area.

    In response to the increased need for SDA properties in New South Wales, the SDA supply of dwellings is slowly increasing. However, the market is still tight and finding the right SDA provider can be competitive.

    Using SDA funding

    SDA funding is designed to give people with extreme functional impairment a choice about where they live, who they live with and how they live. Funding should be used in line with participant’s goals and for the delivery of customised and high quality home care.

    Responsibilities for SDA housing providers

    Not only must SDA providers deliver a high standard of dwelling, they must also provide the necessary supports for residents. They must ensure residents:

    • Have their personal and medical care needs are met

    • Are provided access to other supports such as cleaning and meals

    • Are card for, respected and protected from violence and neglect

    Options for disability accommodation

    The dwelling type and building types used for SDA can vary greatly. SDA homes include houses, apartments, townhouses and group homes.

    The SDA home must be enrolled by a registered SDA provider and comply with standards set out by the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. The home must also be for at least one and no more than five NDIS participants.

    Housing design for people with disability

    SDA homes are designed specifically for people with disability. There are certain criteria that a dwelling must meet to be considered an SDA. An SDA is given one of the design categories (like a rating) that outlines the level of accessibility features in the dwelling.

    These categories for SDA dwellings run from Basic, through to Improved Livability, Fully Accessible and Robust. The highest design category is High Physical Support which is reserved from homes that have a specialised structural design and have been uniquely designed for people with disability.

    Nursed Care for specialist disability accommodation

    Finding the right SDA for yourself or your loved one can take time and effort. At Nursed Care, we are familiar with the Specialist Disability Accommodation options. As well as providing access to existing specialist disability accommodation, we are also expanding our portfolio of disability properties. These homes are designed for people with significant impairment or very high are needs.

    Making an SDA your home

    Nursed Care is based in Parramatta, but we have access to community SDA properties right around the metro area. Contact us to discuss both the goals for your accommodation and care.

    Finding the right home and feeling safe and happy at home is important for everyone. We make sure that we take the time to understand your care requirements and that your SDA is not a dwelling but a real home.

    We ensure that each SDA participant’s support needs are met through integrated and cohesive care. We are proud to offer housing options that suit the person and bring comfort and peace of mind.

    Contact Nursed Care on 02 8488 8955 to learn more.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Funding for the SDA home is provided through the NDIS and a reasonable rent contribution is paid directly to the accommodation provider. A residential tenancy agreement is completed.

    Other personal costs, such as meals and utilities, are charged separately. Price limits apply to how much can be charged for SDA housing.

    Some SDA housing options are for people who need to live on their own. Other SDA homes accommodate two or more people. Where possible, residents are matched with people who share similar culture, age or interests.

    Need qualified care?

    At Nursed, we offer a full range of care and disability support services, assisting you to live the life you want to live. Contact us today.

    You might also enjoy

    Skip to content